- 20 surfers
- Four, one-hour heats with five surfers
- 15 wave maximum per surfer. Single highest paddle and single highest tow wave will count for each surfer’s total heat score
- Overlapping heat format will vary between paddle and tow, whereby surfers will adhere to a priority system that will allow all surfers to catch both paddle and tow waves
- Each heat will crown a winner, and the 4 highest placed winners will progressthrough to the final
- The highest placed surfer at the end of the final will be crowned the inaugural Red Bull Cape Fear champion
*Event format is subject to change based on wave quality, size and conditions.