It’s been the question on everyone’s mind… will Red Bull Cape Fear be returning for another trip around the sun, after the chaos, carnage and insanity of 2016?
It’s finally time to get your answer. Red Bull Cape Fear is officially back, and the waiting period is now open.
From May 1st to August 31st of 2017, the swell forecasters behind the world’s highest intensity big wave event will be mapping swells, forecasting weather patterns and waiting for that perfect moment to pull the trigger.
As big wave charger and Cape Fear mastermind Mark Matthews is so famously quoted… “Pound for pound, Cape Fear is the heaviest and most dangerous wave in the world.”
And as if last year wasn’t enough, it’s time to put that statement to the test once again. Safety teams are prepping, surfers and training and all eyes are ready to be glued to the jagged cliffs of Cape Fear’s home, Maroubra, NSW, Australia.
This year the event format has changed slightly, in an effort to keep heats running safely and smoothly throughout the one-day event run.
The format will run as follows:
• 20 surfers
• Five, 40 Minute round one heats with four surfers
• 15 wave maximum per surfer. Single highest paddle and single highest tow wave will count for each surfer’s total heat score
• Overlapping heat format will vary between paddle and tow, whereby surfers will adhere to a priority system that will in effect allow all surfers to catch both paddle and tow waves
• The winner of each heat will progress straight to the final, the second place surfer in each heat will move to a re-charge round pending conditions whereby they will sur for the final spot in the final
• The highest placed surfer at the end of the final will be crowned the Red Bull Cape Fear champion
And who, you ask, might be brave enough to face the heaving barrel of Cape Fear? 20 fearless surfers, whose names are as follows:
Now what? Now, we wait for that perfect swell. Tune in to redbullcapefear.com over the waiting period (May 1 – Aug 31, 2017) for updated event news, behind-the-scenes videos, interviews and more.